Ready or Not: Soon-to-be legal voters chew over the 2016 Presidential nominees

Lupita Galvan, Managing Editor

Senior Joshua Banja discusses his thoughts on the upcoming 2016 presidential elections. It has been almost four years since the last presidential election, and almost eight years since there has been a new president. 

As current high school seniors become adults, they are beginning to form initial opinions on the 2016 presidential elections.

“It’s nice to finally have an opinion about who’s going to be in charge of my education and whatnot. And who decides how much money I get for college,” senior and soon-to-be legal voter Bailey Clounch said.

Screen Shot 2015-10-17 at 5.35.16 PM
Bernie Sanders and Hilary Clinton on the debate stage on Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2015, in Las Vegas. (Brian Cahn/Zuma Press/TNS) Hilary Clinton on the debate stage on Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2015, in Las Vegas. (Brian Cahn/Zuma Press/TNS)

While there may be more voters, the older citizens are still voting the same way they have been for the majority of their lives.

“I think the younger ages are geared more towards the democratic side, the more independent candidates running. In Texas, we have a lot of republican supporters,” Clounch said.

Since the last election, many citizens have turned the legal age of voting. The presidential candidates have been in debate and soon-to-be legal voting citizens, such as Clounch, are paying more attention to their campaigns.

“So far, on the republican side has been more about Trump and Trump and Trump. If you look at the news they barely pay attention to anyone else,” senior and eighteen year old-to-be Jordan Espinosa said. “Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders are the top two for the democratic party, and I already know that they have a lot of the same goals.”

Students like Clounch say they formed their preliminary decisions for who they’ll vote for based on what they think needs to be improved at the national level.

“I think [LGBT rights] needs to be pushed, and really I’ve only heard Bernie talk about it,” Clounch said. “I think Hillary said a few things, and I don’t think Donald Trump will do anything about it.”

Although the candidates are still in the preliminary stages of their campaigns, future-voters have started forming their opinions and have an idea of who they’ll vote for.

“Bernie Sanders, I believe that he will be a great president. He will continue on and do better than Obama has done so far,” Espinosa said. “He will progress the state into a new state of mind and a new state of acceptance of everything.”