Roycenatica Fanatica: how a student’s life was turn upside down after she a became a Prince Royce fan

Esmeralda Juarez (12) hugs Latin pop singer, Prince Royce, at a private meet and greet hosted by a radio station, September 18th, 2015. Juarez has met Royce the most times in Houston.

Priscilla Olmos, Staff Writer

Senior, Esmeralda “Esme” Juarez has criss-crossed the state over six times since 2013 to meet Latin pop singer, Prince Royce.

However, while today she may be a “Roycenatica,” Juarez says she hasn’t always been this way.

“At first I didn’t really pay attention to him,” Juarez said. “His ‘Stand by Me’ video would be playing in the background while I was getting ready in the mornings but I didn’t really notice much.”

Juarez didn’t start acknowledging Prince Royce’s songs until she was a sophomore, when he released his second album, ‘Soy el Mismo.’

“I made my parents drive me to Houston for his album release and got my first picture with him there,” Juarez said of her first real life encounter with Royce.

Over the lapse of two years Juarez has attended six Royce concerts, (in Austin, Houston, and San Antonio) and has met him over five times.

“Royce is so down to Earth and he always hugs me long enough that I get to appreciate my time with him when he’s in front of me” Juarez continued. “Because of him I have put myself out there and met so many girls who love him as well.”

Along her journey, Juarez has met several girls who she can talk to exclusively about Prince Royce. Juarez likes to call them her  “Royce Sisters” since she doesn’t have any sisters of her own.

Juarez and the “Royce Sisters” travel to cities across Texas to attend Prince Royce concerts and meet and greets.

“One of the girls is 27 years old, then another girl is in her twenties, and lastly the other girl is a junior in high school,” Juarez said. “They are the closest thing to sisters, and I’m so grateful to Royce for bringing me so much happiness.”

Here at ARS, Juarez’s whole grade knows of her love for Prince Royce.

“People sing ‘Darte un Beso’* when they see Esme,” senior Georgia Oldham said.
In one of the recent meet and greet picture Prince Royce and Juarez appear to be sharing a kiss.

“He didn’t kiss me,” Juarez explained. “I told him to put his thumb in between our face so it looked like a kiss because I had seen that pose with other celebrities.”

Not only is Juarez a fan, she is also “extremely proud” of Royce.

“It’s amazing how far he has come in the past few years and even though he’s really famous, he’s still really humble,” Juarez said. “He likes to break the barrier between the stage and the floor so that there’s no barriers between him and us– his fans.”

However, Juarez confesses that for her Prince Royce is more than just an interest.

“I wouldn’t be where I am and I wouldn’t have met so many amazing people without him [Prince Royce] in my life.”