Senior stars certified to save lives

Bio-medical student Andrea Cazares practices her compressions on a CPR dummy. Students must master the steps of CPR to receive certification.

Daisy Horr, Staff Writer

Biomedical Design and Entrepreneurship students spent several days attending CPR and safety training courses provided by American Red Cross in order to become CPR certified.

CPR certification has become tradition, as well as a milestone for biomed pathway senior students, and this year the new combined engineering and biomed pathway class has allowed engineering students to participate in the lessons as well.

“I thought it was very helpful,” said Deanna Watson, a biomedical student.  “It was fun and I think it will be something that you can take with you for the rest of your life.”

The students spent a week working with the athletic department instructors, following along with the American Red Cross instructional videos, having discussions, and participating hands-on.

“I thought we were just going to focus on CPR, the compressions and the breaths, but we also figured out what to do when a baby is choking.” said Watson.

The seniors were trained on proper CPR techniques for adults, as well as for children and infants. Each situation has a different set of procedures to save a life.

“I loved the baby one, even though I was a little scared because I would never want to do CPR on a little baby, like an infant, but at least you got to know because we will be mothers one day,” said Watson. “It’s good to have that knowledge.”

Claudia Vargas, another senior in the biomedical pathway, explained that you must know the proper safety steps when encountering a dangerous situation before proceeding with CPR.

“You see that someone is not responding, you would have to make sure that the scene is safe, you have to ask if they’re okay, make sure you get someone to call 911 or get the AED, and then check for breathing,” said Vargas. “Then that’s when you do the 30 compressions, and then 2 breaths, 30 compressions, 2 breaths, until you see they respond or you see someone with more advanced training comes.”

Along with CPR certification, students earned certification in first aid. They learned beneficial ways to treat someone in dangers such as severe allergic reactions, heat exhaustion, and strokes.

“Whenever a situation does come then I’d be really good to know that you can save a life, or you know how to save a life,” said Vargas. “I’ve actually thought about what could happen if something happened like this, and I feel like I’m prepared to save a life when it comes to that point.”

Students have completed their final certification tests last week, and are now able to perform multiple life-saving procedures including CPR, delivering Epinephrine injections, and wrapping a tourniquet.

“It was a really fun, eye opening experience,” said Kayla Washington, an engineering student. “I hope I never have to do it in the future.”