Netflix worthy Halloween films to watch on a full moon

Daisy Horr, Staff Writer

With the month of October comes breezy nights, pumpkin spice, and a sudden acceptance for the combination of orange and black.

After a holiday-less September, being reunited with a whole month dedicated to Halloween festivities is definitely the highlight of the fall season. While shopping for the best costume and trick-or-treating (no matter how “old” you are) is fun, Halloween would be nothing without movies.

From the classics to the utter gore fests, scary movies are the epitome of Halloween. Luckily for us, Netflix brings in a diverse set of must-sees, including sinister witches, infestations of zombies, moaning ghouls, howling wolves, and sequels upon sequels of possessions. So for those fright nights where you’re in need of a good scream, check out these films:

Carrie (2013)

A modern take on the Stephen King novel and the 1976 film, Carrie tells the story of a young telekinetic girl, Carrie White, who discovers her powers after being subjected to humiliation and being provoked by her religiously conservative mother, takes revenge on her tormentors at her high school prom. Starring up-and-coming young actors like Chloe Grace Moretz (Carrie White), Gabriella Wilde (Sue Snell), and Ansel Elgort (Tommy Ross), the film brings a new look to the classic but keeps true to the well known story.

Scare Factor: Not much action until the very end, where everything happens.

Nightmares: Blood, lots and lots of blood.

Movie Buddies: Definitely a movie to watch with friends, you can oogle at Augustus Waters while freaking out over Julianne Moore’s creepily good acting.

This Movie in One Sentence: Disney’s PROM meets The Chronicle.

World War Z

With a zombie contagion threatening his family and the entire world, Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt), a former UN investigator discovers the factors behind the zombie epidemic and sets forth to save everyone. Based on the 2006 novel by Max Brooks, this film is a great take on the zombie-craze.

Scare Factor: It’ll keep you on the edge of your seat rather than under the covers.

Nightmares: Zombies, lots and lots of zombies.

Movie Buddies: Fun with friends but you could watch it alone if you tend to yell and throw popcorn at the screen during suspense.

This Movie in One Sentence: Brad Pitt: zombie-slaying sweetheart.

The Craft

When Sarah Bailey moves into a small town, she befriends a trio of outcast girl witches at her Catholic Prep school. Together they conduct witchcraft mischief to all those who have ever wronged them. As a group they become stronger, but Sarah quickly realizes that magic has a price. In this 1996 movie, nominated for the “Best Horror Film” category by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films, you’ll find out that magic is not always the best solution.

Scare Factor: A perfect oldie that’ll creep you out yet keep you watching from start to finish.

Nightmares: If you’re terrified of bugs, snakes, and rats, you’ll be double-checking your sinks and toilets for awhile.

Movie Buddies: A “chick-flick” with a scary twist to it.

This Movie in One Sentence: Be nice to everyone as a general rule, but it’s especially helpful if your school is run by teen witches.

Children of the Corn

Yet another film adaptation by a Stephen King short story, Children of the Corn (1984) a couple accidentally stumbles upon a small town named Gatlin, a civilization where children kill the adults. The film is a classic and although the scenes are subpar to the typical blood and gore scenes of the 21st century, the archaic feel somehow makes the movie even more creepy and even more true to the Halloween spirit.

Scare Factor: There are your typical “That’s SO fake!” scenes that’ll probably bore the horror fanatics but nevertheless scare the bed-wetters.

Nightmares: You’ll be even more suspicious of creepy kids, and probably children in general.

Movie Buddies: Watch with your parents and wonder why they ever thought this was scary.

This Movie in One Sentence: Where did they find this man-baby? Why is he a minister? Why does he sound like that? What’s going on?

The Nightmare Before Christmas

While Stephen King dominated the childhood of our parents, for us, a long night of trick-or-treating was rewarded with a group viewing of Tim Burton’s films. In the stop-motion animation The Nightmare Before Christmas, Jack Skeleton, ruler of Halloweentown, stumbles upon Christmas town and tries to ambush the holiday by becoming “sandy claws” himself. With presents made of stuffed rats and shrunken heads, Jack finds after a disastrous mess caused by his selfishness that his place is back home as King of Halloween.

Scare Factor: Unless Stop-Motion still gives you the heebie jeebies to this day, the only thing I would worry about is Oogie Boogie (he’s made out of bugs for crying out loud!)

Nightmares: You’l be singing “this is Halloween..” till mid December.

Movie Buddies: Great to watch with your family and with the same friends who first went trick-or-treating with you.

This Movie in One Sentence: A trip down nostalgia lane

American Horror Story: Season 1

While American Horror Story isn’t a movie, I couldn’t resist adding this freak-tastic fan favorite series to the collection. If you’re a Netflix binge-watcher I suggest watching season one to get into the Halloween mood. This season follows the story of a family who moves into a house of multiple murders, little do they know that the house still holds the ghosts of these murder victims hostage. In this season we learn more about each murder and follow the lives of this dysfunctional family, each episode containing something to scream about.

Scare Factor: Pretty gory and messy– it is a murder house after all, but with sarcastic wit.

Nightmares: You’ll be afraid of things you’ve never thought to be afraid of before, but you’ll keep coming back for more.

Movie Buddies: I suggest watching this alone, then raving all about it with friends the next day.

This Movie Season in One Sentence: Do I scream, cry, swoon, or do all three at once?

If these movies seem too tame, or you’re looking for more creepy flicks, check out The Best Halloween Movies Streaming Right Now article by Time to satisfy the need to scream.

Happy Halloween!