Senior gives speech about Batman, students respond

Kelly Friedman, Staff Writer

Salazar works on her art project. The Batman comics have influenced her artwork over the years.

During last weeks’ morning assembly, a student gave her senior speech about Batman, her inspiration, and the crowd reacted with laughter and interest.

“I felt like I wasn’t the right person to give advice to anyone,” said senior Katia Salazar.  “I just didn’t think that I had enough wisdom; that I haven’t gone through a lot this year, because it was the beginning of the year. So, I decided to talk about something that inspired me; something that I knew a lot about.”

Salazar says she first read a Batman comic freshman year and has continued to read them to this day. She said she wants everyone to know at least something about Batman.

“She [Stormy] showed me this super boy comic and she told me where all the comics in the library were, so I went and checked them out and I was like ‘Ooh, I know Batman’,” said Salazar. “So, I picked up a lot of Batman comics and started reading them.”

Salazar stood in front of the entire student body and presented her speech on September 22 around 9:15 a.m.

“The fact that she spoke her speech in relation to something that everyone knew or heard of, Batman, added humor and made us listen a little more,” said Helen Onuorah, junior.

Salazar friends also said they were impressed by her Batman themed speech.

“In my opinion, it was the best speech I had heard in three years.” said Maria Jaramillo. “It was not only awesome, but it was Katia. This speech reflected who she is: spontaneous, awesome, funny, daring, and a total comic book lover and Batman lover.”

At the end of Salazar’s speech, she unbuttoned her shirt and showed a Batman shirt to the crowd.

“The most memorable part of her speech was, of course, Katia taking off her shirt and revealing her ‘I am Batman’ shirt underneath,” Jaramillo said.

Salazar said she felt accomplished with her speech and her delivery of it.

“I think I made the right choice of making him my speech. I thank him for that: for giving me something to talk about. Thank you to everyone who really liked it and who really thinks I am an awesome person because of it.”