ARS bans athletic jackets until further notice

Junior Gabriella Dominguez wears her varsity volleyball athletic jacket before the Great Day of Service on September 19th. (photo by Abigail Dougherty)

Guiny Thomas, Staff Writer

Ann Richards School Athletes are not allowed to wear their sports specific jackets after Administrators officially deemed them as out of dress code on September 10th, 2014.

“I think it’s a shame [that we aren’t able to wear our jackets] because we work so hard in athletics and it’s just nice to have something you can show for your work,” said Ally Reznicek, a varsity volleyball player at the Ann Richards School For Young Women Leaders. “It’s [the jacket] not distracting and it’s not provocative and I believe we should be able to wear the jackets that the school provides for us,” Reznicek continues.

Many students and teachers have their own opinions on the subject.

Cristina Trevino, a player on the school’s roller derby team, said, “Athletes should be awarded for going above and beyond and just not maintaining their grades in school, but also keeping a healthy well balanced lifestyle.”

Kris Waugh, High School Vice Principal, sent out an email to Ashley Robinson, ARS Cheerleading coach, requesting that she send her team to spread the word of new policies to the rest of the school’s athletic population. Waugh’s email encouraged the athlete’s to continue to fight for the right to wear said jackets, but until the right was obtained, athletes would be required to respect the school policy and not wear the jackets.

Coach Meg Brown, the coach of the high school junior varsity volleyball team has a different opinion.

Brown said, “Well, I feel that athletes are proud to be apart of the program, I feel that the high school athletes should be able to wear their jackets during the school day, and if they wear the jackets they should be worn with pride.”