Students flock to Austin museums for Museum Day 2014

Photographs of prominent people line the walls of the 60s exhibit at the LBJ Library

Meredith Oldham

ARS students visited museums all across Austin last Sunday for Austin Museum Day, a day when all museums involved in the Austin Museum Partnership offer free admission.

“I initially went to the museum [LBJ Presidential Library] for AP US History extra credit,” said junior, Alexandra Triampol. “But I ended up learning a lot of neat stuff about the time period [the 1960s] that can help me on future history tests.”

Alexandra Triampol (11) takes a photo of an artifact at the LBJ Presidential Library this past Sunday

AP US History teacher, Mr. Kepner, offered extra credit to any students visiting the LBJ Library on Museum Day as long as they brought their admission ticket to school as proof of their attendance. Another junior in AP US History, Katya Witliff, also visited the LBJ Presidential Library.

“It was better than I expected,” said Witliff. “There’s a lot about LBJ I never knew, and the library really made me appreciate him more.”

Although the LBJ Presidential Library is one of the larger museums in Austin, other students were found on Sunday at other museums. Junior, Itzel Ruiz, volunteers at The Thinkery (The New Austin Children’s Museum), and Austin Museum Day was her first day on the job.

Students observed buttons and other artifacts during their trip to the LBJ Presidential Library

“Crazy, loud, and headache,” Ruiz said when describing the day in three words. “Don’t take it wrong– it was really fun and I enjoyed it, but it was a lot.”

Unlike Ruiz, Fatima Gloria, another junior whose been employed at the Thinkery since she turned 16,  did not work on Museum Day.

“I love working at the Thinkery just so much,” said Gloria. “But I was busy on Sunday, and I wasn’t really disappointed to miss it [Museum Day].”

According to the Austin Museum Partnership’s website, they’ve already started planning 2015’s Museum Day, which is set to be held on Sunday, September 20th, 2015 and will include free museum access to over 44 Austin institutions.

Students walk up the LBJ Library staircase to view the upstairs exhibits.
Lupita Galvan

On her favorite part of this year and what she’s most looking forward to next year, Alexandra Triampol had one thing in mind.

“Free gelato. Definitely the free gelato.”