Class of 2021 Elects Student Council

Rewon Shimray, Writer

The sixth grade student council candidates gathered on Sept. 12, 2014 for the election speeches in which Alexa Perez was chosen as class president, Emma Tatum vice-president, and Jackie Maclean and Marlin Gomez as the representatives.

The girls sit in a row and are called up one-by-one to present their speech. They have practiced for the past week: in front of friends, family and mirrors. (left to right: Marlin Gomez, Emma Tatum, Arden Price, Saskia Solotko, Alex Sanmiguel, Alexa Perez, Calyssa Marquez)
Georgia Oldham
The girls sit in a row and are called up one-by-one to present their speech. They have practiced for the past week: in front of friends, family and mirrors.
(left to right: Marlin Gomez, Emma Tatum, Arden Price, Saskia Solotko, Alex Sanmiguel, Alexa Perez, Calista Marquez)

“There will always be ups and downs but as the governor Ann Richards said, ‘The thing the public wants most is a self-examination to say, “You know, I’m not perfect. I’m just like you.”’” Perez said.

One quarter of the eight candidates strove to relate to the voters by inquiring about their interests.

“Alright, who here plays a sport? Who here is in choir?” asked candidate Calista Marquez.

Marquez was answered by quickly raised hands.

“Who here does band? We work in a team there, right? That’s what I think student council is–working as a team to solve our problems creatively,” Marquez said.

The candidates emphasized the relationship between the student council and students. Half of the speeches included the word “communication.” Jackie Maclean, who ran for class representative, even suggested a “monthly survey” in which students could share their ideas.

“I want us all to be heard, not just the people in student council; we all matter,” Maclean said.

Many also took the approach of drawing an analogy from the function of the student council to that of a government.

Emma Tatum, who ran for vice-president said, “I love the idea of a democratic society inside a school helping make decisions and promoting welfare and success in our community.”

Appealing to equality and promises of an organized system, the 2014 student council sixth grade candidates finished their speeches with feelings of wanting to “faint or throw up” but also feeling “powerful”.

“After talking, I was kind of shaken, I was like, ‘Did I do right?’ ‘Did I not do right?’” Maclean said.

These candidates have just gotten off stage, there are ranging emotions of nausea to relief. Student Council mentor, Mrs. Rice as well as administrators Ms. Wiersema and Mrs. Waugh, congratulated them on their "courage" and "leadership". (left to right: Arden Price, Jackie Maclean, Saskia Solotko, and Emma Tatum)
Georgia Oldham
As these candidates have just gotten off stage, there are ranging emotions from nausea to relief. Student Council mentor, Mrs. Rice as well as administrators Ms. Wiersema and Mrs. Waugh, congratulated them on their “courage” and “leadership”.
(left to right: Arden Price, Jackie Maclean, Saskia Solotko, and Emma Tatum)

The results, announced during the closing announcements on Sept. 12, answered that question with class president Alexa Perez, class vice president Emma Tatum, and representatives Jackie Maclean and Marlin Gomez.

These four sixth graders represented the class of 2021 at the first student council meeting today, Sept. 16, to plan the 2014-2015 school year ahead.