The Polaris Mess presents: A SATirical look into ARS’ hip new trend

Published on: March 2, 2017

Filled Under: ARS News, Satire, Showcase

Views: 349

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

There’s no other way to put it: fashion is an important staple to modern day American society. With every season emerges bold statements, led by celebrities, fashion designers, and bloggers alike. Schools with uniforms have a hard time being able to fit in with said fashion staples, as they are restricted from going beyond the typical solid-black jacket and simple, smaller-than-a-quarter  jewelry. However, a new staple fashion piece has appeared in the arms of select students at the Ann Richards school: SAT books. New York Fashion Week has yet to debut these decadent fashion statements, as many are afraid it won’t catch on as quickly as other new year trends. Ann Richards juniors, the leaders of the trend, seem to think otherwise.

“I think it would be super fashionable [outside of school], most people who see it [on the streets] can relate,” Ava Lindquist-Sher (11) said.

Lindquist-Sher, as well as many other juniors, are participating in the trend. In their STARS class this semester Juniors are receiving SAT prep courses with More Than a Teacher (MTAT) where they were given the books. Students took it upon themselves to create the trend of carrying the books around.

“I think carrying SAT books is such a look. It shows that [students] are determined, motivated, and ready for action,” Emily Ownby (11) said.

Julia Mendoza (11), Alyssa Cerda (11), and Georgia Moore (11) write in their textbooks during their SAT Prep class. They are all participants in the trend, each sporting their blue-green book every other day.

Juniors are seeing how the trend falls into a bold fashion statement. Cynthia Puga, for example, (11) noticed that some of the cover is in green, representing the Pantone color of the year: greenery.

“Green is the color of the year, right? They were made for being fashionable,” Puga said.

Some students oppose the trend, others just putting it into their backpacks for good measure. With other textbooks, such as history, Lindquist-Sher feels it could be potentially dangerous.

“It’s kind of like trying to squish into your jeans,” said Lindquist-Sher.

Ownby agrees, admitting that at times she’ll put the prep book into her backpack.

“I put it in my backpack because I like breaking my back, and preparing for health issues for the future,” Ownby said.

Rebecca Lopez (11), and Hilaria Juarez (11), studiously study their SAT books.

Students that don’t participate in the trend are often left excluded, as Puga describes.

“When everyone has their books in their hands and I don’t, it makes me feel like I don’t really care about the SAT, which I do,” Puga said.
Even though not every single junior is a part of the trend, Ownby feels that that’s not the important part of owning the SAT books.

“Being able to answer questions, or perform well, or improve during SAT prep, shows that even though you’re not carrying your book around like all the trendy kids, gaining and feeding from that blessed bible of a book is what really matters,” Ownby said.