Stress less: How to avoid breakdown at the peak of the semester

Jacqueline+Avila+%289%29+ferociously+works+on+her+STARS+eulogy+final+draft.+Ms.+Doy+Roberts+students+are+learning+about+public+speaking+and+how+to+do+different+types.++

Jacqueline Avila (9) ferociously works on her STARS eulogy final draft. Ms. Doy Roberts students are learning about public speaking and how to do different types.

Stress, breakdowns, and overwhelming amounts of work. We have all probably felt this at least once in our ARS journey, and it doesn’t get any better now that we’re in  the third six weeks. For most of us that means finals. Finals are like dreadful creatures under our beds when we were younger, but now all grown up with us and here to drop all the stress it possibly can onto our shoulders. Because of the stress that we will have this time of year, here’s some tips on how to manage it.

First off, just breath. I know it sounds loathsome and like a waste of your time, but if you feel a stress bubble slowly creeping its way up, stop and breath. Try to take a step back and breath in for seven seconds, then out for seven seconds until you feel that you are calm enough to keep working. This will help you avoid going deeper down a rabbit hole to an ARS break down.

Next, stay organized. If you are stressing out about not being able to find that paper you shoved randomly in your backpack, then you can fix this problem. Put your papers in the correct folder – it only takes about ten more seconds, but it will save you from tons of stress later on. Another thing that could be stressing you out is forgetting about an assignment. You know those handy agendas the school gives you at the beginning of the year? Those are to help you. Write down every single homework assignment you have. You can even write “no homework” down in your agenda for a class to help not stress your brain out by thinking you forgot to write it down. Also, put a check box next to each assignment so when you finish you can check it off.

Jacqueline Avila (9) ferociously works on her STARS eulogy final draft. Ms. Doy Roberts’ students are learning about public speaking and how to give different types of speeches.

Another thing that might help is just to talk it out. If you just can’t any more, call up one of your friends, or talk to one of your parents. Get out all of the stress and worry you have stored up. It will help relieve you of some of that weight on your shoulders so you hopefully won’t have a breakdown.

Now, this can sometimes seem counterproductive, but take some breaks. It will help you loosen up instead of getting more and more worked up. The only thing you have to be careful of is not taking too long of a break, and letting it turn into procrastination. A good rule to follow is for every hour or two you work, take a twenty minute break. That way you can have time to relax, but you will still get your work done.

Lastly, and maybe most obviously, study. I know it’s boring and you would much rather watch another show on Netflix, but it is important for finals. If you are a highschool student, don’t forget about our school’s wonderful college center. It is a great place to meet up with a study group or just have a quiet place to focus. Another good place that everyone can study at is the library. It has books to look up additional material, and you can also have a others to help you if you get stuck on something.

Lastly, sometimes the best thing you can do is just cry it out. I know you want to try to avoid this, but it will help you to just get it out and then start pushing and trucking through your work and life again.

Thank you for reading, I hope this will help you get through this crazy time of year. And remember if you need advice about anything come up and talk to me or email me at [email protected].