Say Cheese: Annual ID and yearbook picture day at ARS

Ezra+Morales+%2811%29+poses+for+a+picture.+The+pictures+taken+go+on+student%27s+ID+tags%2C+distributed+in+the+middle+of+the+first+semester.+

Ezra Morales (11) poses for a picture. The pictures taken go on student's ID tags, distributed in the middle of the first semester.

It’s early morning on Thursday, September 8th, 2016 when Photo Texas Photography arrives to set up their lighting. It’s picture day 2016 and students are giddy, or dreading it. For the next two days, students will be exited from a portion of their English classes to face the flashing lights in the cafeteria — a moment that can make or break their yearbook and ID photos.

“Picture day is the worst day ever because you think you look good but then you get your ID and you look like trash, and you’re stuck with it for an entire year,” Vania Neri (11) said. “And then, you’re actually stuck with it your entire life because you’ll see it in the yearbook.”

While some students have a strong dislike for picture day, others feel more neutral. Though the day requires cutting out a few minutes of English, Ms. Jamie Langley, an English teacher, isn’t bothered losing instructional time in her classes.

“It doesn’t bother me because every teacher has a little portion of the class taken away, it’s normal,” Ms. Langley said.

Lightner Callahan (8) doesn’t mind picture day interrupting her English class either, in fact, she prefers English to be the class she misses.

”I feel like in English, it’s more of a laid back class for me this year, and so I think it was the right decision for which class because I feel like it’s something we can catch up easily on, but with Math it’s harder,” Callahan said.

Even Neri, who despises the day, enjoys a mental rest from her AP English Language and Composition class.

“Sometimes you need a break in the day,” Neri said.

By 4:35 p.m. on Friday, September 9th, most pictures of Ann Richards students and staff will have been taken, and the crew will start packing up their lighting and camera equipment, bringing an end to the annual two-day ID and yearbook picture event.

“I feel like it’s something that we have to do, but I don’t think everybody’s totally into it,” Callahan said. “And I think it’s kind of a big deal for some people and then for other people they just don’t care.”