The Marching Stars start off the new season with new directors and new attitude

in ARS News/Band/Fine Arts/News/Showcase/Sports by
Assistant Director Amanda Elizondo and Drum Major Tiffany Baltierra conduct the Ann Richards Marching Band during a run through of their Show. Elizondo began her first year at Ann Richards this past summer, stating she was excited to teach at a school, that inspired girls to pursue their dreams. Photo by Lupita Galvan.
Assistant Director Amanda Elizondo and Drum Major Tiffany Baltierra conduct the Ann Richards Marching Band during a run through of their Show. Elizondo began her first year at Ann Richards this past summer, saying she was excited to teach at a school, that inspired girls to pursue their dreams. Photo by Lupita Galvan.

The Ann Richards Marching Band began preparing for their new season this past summer.  Their first performance will be at the 2014 Annual AISD Jamboree.

“I am excited to go to Jamboree” said Tiffany Baltierra, Co-Drum Major of the Stars Marching Band. “I want all of the other bands to see how good we are now, and we can show everybody what we can do. We are really unique anyways, but now we are going to be unique and great at we are doing.”

Baltierra said she is excited to have new band directors who are pushing the band to its full potential.

“I love Mr. Howard and Mrs. Elizondo,” said Baltierra when asked about the new directors.“They’ve taught us how good we can be if we commit to what we are doing, we don’t hold back, and we show our full potential every time we are on the field.”

Baltierra isn’t the only one who believes in the Marching Stars.

“Total. World. Domination.” said Stephen Howard, Band Director at the Ann Richards School, when asked about his goals for the upcoming Marching Band season.

“Our goals for the Marching Band season this year [are], for the girls to just perform and succeed at the highest level possible.” adds Amanda Elizondo, Assistant Band Director at the Ann Richards School. “Hopefully that means to find new boundaries to push past and new limits to overcome.”

Elizondo and Howard both said they were surprised by the Marching Stars within only a few weeks of rehearsal.

“I was pleasantly surprised by how the girls have a really good attitude and they want to work hard, and have a really positive outlook on what possibilities there are and the great things they can accomplish,” said Elizondo on the first two weeks of school and summer band camp.

“What has surprised me the most, and for the better, is how well all the High School students adapt to change, and that is a huge, huge positive thing.” added Howard.

However, there the new directors said there have been challenges along the way for the Ann Richards Marching Band.

“Getting all the students to recognize the importance of rehearsal has been a challenge, but one that I think we are winning,” said Howard.

Baltierra however, looks back at the previous year and improvements the band has made since.

“I don’t think that we’ve taken any steps back at all [since last year]:  we’ve learned to work harder, and there is a certain culture that we have created now, that we didn’t have last year. And, everyone is more dedicated, and we are seeing our improvements, and that’s what’s pushing us to work harder every day.”

The Marching Stars keep building momentum and strength as they move forward in the season.

“I feel like at the beginning we didn’t have as much confidence in what we were doing, now that we are working harder to get to the point, when we are going to have a good show, and make Mr. Howard and Mrs. Elizondo proud. It seems worth it,” said Baltierra as she looks forward to the competitions the Marching Stars Band have this season.

The Marching Stars Band has three US Band competitions, and a UIL competition in the fall.
“I want us to show our full potential on the field, and do the best that we can do, leave it all out, no half job.” ads Baltierra.

5 Comments

1. This is a very interesting hobby. I am inspired by the band directors and students dedication to this hobby. I would like to join band in the future so I could have a similar experience!

2. I admire the hard work these girls put towards marching band. Their strong perseverance will lead them to many successes. I hope they go far and good job for the great work!

3. Nice article Perla! I believe this year will be an extraordinary year for the marching band, especially with Mr. Howard, and Mrs. Elizondo. They can see we are capable of doing great things as a marching band, when we work really hard, and give it our all. I am excited for Jamboree and competitions to come, so we can show everyone that we are amazing!