The Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders

Juniors in Jackets : Juniors explaining their lettermans

in ARS News/News by

Every year, the juniors who get an 80 or above on their Cornerstone project, a college level project, get their letterman during the fall semester of their junior year. The letterman jacket has a been an Ann Richards tradition for many years.

Each pathway assigns a very different kind of project to their students based on what they have been learning in their pathway. In Media Technology, you have to make a 3-minute long computer or traditional animation, Engineering has to make something that helps your community, and in Biomed, students have to make a device to help solve a disease. On the jacket you’re able to get patches representing activities you’re in and ones that represent you. Some of these patches represent sports, your graduation year, and other clubs and extracurriculars you’ve been in for years. We interviewed three juniors from each pathway explaining what they did to get their letterman and what they’ve put on them.

Janaye Scales (11):

“To be able to get my jacket I made a nanodevice. My project was about using Crispr Cas9 to solve the skin disease called harlequin ichthyosis, we made a model on how Crispr would get rid of the disease. What my patches and my jacket mean to me is that I completed my project and it’s a symbol that I worked hard on it. I got the caduceus patch in front of my jacket because of my pathway being Biomed, I have a gavel for debate, a megaphone for cheer and the Biomed patch for passing my Cornerstone. I also have the patch of 2020 for my graduation year, and the NHS patch.”

Liliana Hernandez  (11):

“In my Cornerstone we had to make a three minute animation about anything we wanted with a partner. We had to come up with a story and design our own characters. Usually, when you do something that you’re really proud of at this school, you’ll sometimes get recognition for it. The letterman is having like a huge recognition for doing an animation that you passed and did really well on and that you could be proud for. This is something that I can wear proudly. I have a cheer patch because I’m in cheer, I have the Mexican flag because my mom is half Mexican and my dad is from Mexico, I got it because even though I wasn’t born there I want to remember my culture and my roots, I have a Media Tech patch because I’m in that pathway, then I have an art patch because I’ve been in art for all of high school.”

Catalina Sanchez (11) :

“Since I’m in the engineering pathway we had to do a project that helped our community. We decided to make a manual wheelchair. We wanted it to work as an electric one but without the cost. I decided to get the jacket because I feel like it was a way to show that I earned it since the project was really hard and our team really struggled with it. So far I have eight patches, I got the patch of our graduating year, the NHS patch because it’s an activity that I became involved in and the starletts and drill hat patch because I’ve been in this activities for two years already, the Mexican flag because I was born in Mexico, the Texas flag because I’ve lived my whole life here, the Engineering patch because that’s my pathway, the Pals patch because that’s something I’m in right now.”

As most kids at 6 years old were starting first grade, Ximena Sifuentes-Chavez was migrating from Mexico to the United States. Transitioning from “Feliz cumpleaños” to “happy birthdays” was different for Ximena and lead her to step out of her comfort zone and join a film club in elementary school. Carrying film with her through middle school and into high school, she knew the pathway for her was Media Technology. Creating films and being involved in cinematography is a future goal for Ximena Sifuentes...but don’t think that is the only thing she has in mind. Junior, Ximena has an internship working at a production company and has been working since the start of summer 2018. Ximena is looking forward to giving voices to those who usually don't have one this upcoming year, as a staff writer for the Polaris Press newspaper.