The Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders

March Matters: Shedding Light on remarkable affairs that occur this month

in Beyond Our Walls/News by

March is filled with lots of fun springtime events, along with some more serious celebrations that often don’t get commemorated. Here are some noteworthy events that you can observe throughout the month of March.

• All month- Women’s history month
    • Women’s history month was first celebrated in March 1987 and is recognized as a month to commemorate women and all the work they have done to contribute to society as a whole. All across the world, people gather to study, discuss and honor women of all backgrounds. For more on women’s history month check out pages 18 and 19.
  • March 2- National read across America day
    • The National Education Association celebrates National Read Across America Day every year on the birthday of popular children’s author, Dr. Seuss. On March 2, students from various communities celebrate the gift of reading through pep rallies, reading workshops and hosting author visits. Research has shown that students who are encouraged to read perform better in school.
  • March 8- International women’s day
    • Beginning in the early 1900’s International Women’s Day has been observed as a day to honor the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women.  IWD is a day that calls to action the need for gender equality. This year’s theme is #PressforProgress because the World Economic Forum’s 2017 Global Gender Gap Report states that gender equality is over 200 years away.
  • March 17- Bayard Rustin’s birthday
    • Bayard Rustin is a national activist and champion of civil rights. Most notably, Rustin is known for his part in the creation of the March on Washington in 1963 while also facing adversity as a gay man and ex-communist. The march was meant to be a peaceful protest to fight for the rights of black Americans’ employment. Though it is not a very well known day of celebration, Rustin’s legacy is celebrated on his birthday every year in March.
  • March 21- International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
    • On March 21, 1960, police in South Africa shot and killed 69 people that were peaceful protesting laws that promoted segregation known as the apartheid “pass laws.” Six years later the United Nations called on its members to double its efforts on eliminating racial discrimination. This year’s International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination theme is “Promoting tolerance, inclusion, unity and respect for diversity in the context of combating racial discrimination.” The UN encourages people to join in the fight for racial equality and human rights.
  • March 31- Transgender Day of Visibility
    • The number of transgender people murdered every year continues to increase, only silencing the transgender community more. Transgender Day of Visibility (TDOV) is a day to end the silence and uplift the voice of transgender individuals to shine a light on all the positive work they are contributing to the greater community. Trans Student Educational Resources hosts the annual event on Facebook every year providing resources for students and educators all across the U.S. to help spread the word on the importance of trans visibility.
  • March 31- Cesar Chavez Day
    • “Sí, se Puede” is a term that is often chanted every March 31st as people gather to recognize the hard work Cesar Chavez accomplished for field workers. Cesar Chavez is known for his founding of the National Farm Workers Association and peaceful methods of protest for the rights of farm workers to unionize. His legacy is spread all across the U.S. but most notably in California, Arizona, Florida and Texas.

Ezra Morales is well rounded, hard working senior and Managing Editor for The Polaris Press. You can catch him running for cross country, playing soccer, or working at the craft store and Trans Student Educational Resources. He is passionate about changing the world and making schools safer for the LGBTQ+ community.