Repping the right way: Why Love, Simon is an important teen comedy

in Features/Our Voices by

Love, Simon is an upcoming film based off the book Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, written by Becky Albertalli. The movie follows Simon Spier (Nick Robinson), a closeted gay 17-year-old high school student, and his experience balancing school, friends, family, a pen pal, and his sexuality.

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda is a young adult novel that is loved by thousands of teenagers worldwide, the main reason being the importance of representation in such a simple story. The story isn’t some over-dramatic, unrealistic, unnecessary telling of a gay high school boy. You see Simon come to terms with his sexuality, while also having a difficult time coming out to the people in his life, while also going through the usual high school conflicts like being in theater and handling homework.

Photo courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox

A movie like Love, Simon is important in terms of proper representation. When people with marginalized identities, such as folks who identify as LGBTQ+, ask for representation, they ask for it to be appropriate. Seeing characters like you in the media gives you a feeling of pride in your identity. The representation is even better when it comes in an average form. The thing that makes Love, Simon so great is how simple and realistic the story is.

Movies like Moonlight and Call me by Your Name are important to the gay community because of the way a gay love story is normalized, but because of these films’ R-ratings, they aren’t as accessible for younger viewers. Love, Simon has the same sense of normalization but in a teen movie rated pg-13, where freshmen in high school can go see it and have the same benefits of representation as their adult counterparts. Most people can’t relate to Elio exploring his sexuality in the the summer of 1980 in Italy in Call Me By Your Name. But gay teenagers can see themselves in Simon as he goes through school and balances all aspects of his life, including his sexuality.

Love, Simon is a long overdue film. Once it releases on March 18th of 2018, it will be a movie that will be in many people’s hearts, especially mine. From the trailers that have been released, you can see that Simon is just like his other classmates. His sexuality might be different, but he’s going through the awkward parts of adolescence like everyone else.The official poster for Love, Simon says that everyone deserves a great love story. It’s time to normalize non-heterosexual relationships, especially when it comes to properly representing gay teens. This movie can also help pave the path for better representation of the LGBTQ+ community. Whether the world likes it or not, gay teens exist and they deserve to be seen in the media.

Keyla Blanco’s perfect moment in time is when she is curled up on her bed, with her favorite food, and a superhero movie playing. Keyla is an indecisive, comic loving, superhero obsessed, fangirl. She wants to create movies that reflect the real world and its people. More diversity, whether that be people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, differently abled people, or any other underrepresented people, in films, is her biggest passion. Keyla grew up with her family and comic books and spends time with them constantly. Movies are her main escape, and they help her see the world. Keyla is shy at first but opens up after some time. Fitting to her personality, Keyla is the Entertainment Editor for the Polaris Press.