The Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders

Moving forward: what to look for in entertainment this spring

in Entertainment/Showcase by

With spring brings the many, many dates for upcoming movies, TV, and music. This spring is the season of comebacks, with artists such as Lorde releasing a new album after years of silence, 13 Reason Why, the popular young adult novel that captured the heart of many students here at Ann Richards, coming back as a TV show, and more. The following are an exciting selection of said media.

Movies and TV:

T2 Trainspotting

Dir. Danny Boyle

In 1996, Trainspotting stunned audiences with a graphic account of addiction from the perspective of a young heroine addict involved in the Edinburgh drug scene. Twenty one years later the original cast has returned to show the progression of life for addicts when an old group of friends and lovers are reunited in familiar circumstances. Directed by Academy Award winning director Danny Boyle, T2 has been met with positive reviews that praise the films ability to once again capture audiences with the grungy, thrilling and heartbreaking adventures of addicts.

Life

Dir. Daniel Espinosa

Theaters have seen quite a few space movies in recent years, however Life brings back the horror element of movies like Alien (1979) while keeping with the trend of looking for new life beyond Earth. Astronauts aboard an international space station, including David Jordan and Roy Adams, played respectively by stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds, discover a life form from Mars that. Quickly the discovery turns from and incredible scientific feat to a living nightmare for everyone involved.

Get Out

Dir. Jordan Peele

Although known for his comedic work on Key & Peele, Jordan Peele has taken a new endeavor into directing and horror. Get Out follows a Rose, played by HBO’s series Girls’ Allison Williams, who brings her black boyfriend, Chris (Daniel Kaluuya), home to meet her white family. Rose expects a warm welcome but both she and Chris notice strange racial microaggression that eventually take a dark turn. Critics found the movie to be not only an above average horror movie, but successfully and maturely address racism.

13 Reasons Why

Netflix

Based on the best selling teen novel by the same name, Netflix will be releasing a new series about a boy who learns the truth behind one of his classmates recent suicide. 13 Reasons Why is directed by Tom McCarthy and includes singer/actress Selena Gomez as a producer.

Veep – Season 6

HBO

For five seasons Julia Louis-Dreyfus has enthralled audiences in her role as Selina Meyer, with sardonic wit and unbelievable entitlement, and after last season’s shocking ending, Selina and her cynical administration will be returning to HBO in April. If you’re into Veep and don’t mind downgrading from the West Wing to a grimy Philly pub you can find similar hilarious and despicable characters on Fx’s It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which is currently on its twelfth season.

The Get Down: Season 2

Netflix

Glee may be over, but The Get Down is just beginning and it has all the singing, music and drama needed. Set in the Bronx during the creation of hip hop and heightened social strains of the 1970’s, The Get Down follows aspiring teen musicians who struggle with relationships, acceptance and growing up, expressed frequently through flashy and emotional dance numbers. Although season one finished fairly tidy, season two is expected to be just as colorful and unique, thanks to director Baz Luhrmann.

Music:

1. Melodrama – Lorde

Lorde’s sophomore album – which will follow 2013’s Pure Heroine – seems like it’s been a long time in the making. However, in early March, the New-Zealand native released the first two singles from the album: “Green Light” and “Liability.” Judging by the fast-spoken, instrumentally building singles, fans are in for a whirlwind album when it’s released. Though Lorde hasn’t set a specific release date yet, she is set to headline several music festivals this summer, including Coachella in April, meaning an album release could be just around the corner.

1. Turbo Grafx 16 – Kanye West

Though Kanye West’s last album, The Life of Pablo, was released just over one year ago, there are reports of a new album in 2017. West appears to be hard at work finalizing his next album, Turbo Grafx 16, which is named after a gaming system from 1989. West is also reportedly collaborating with Pete Rock, who also worked with him on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Viewers can see what appear to be a tracklist in a video that Rock posted to his Instagram page in December of 2016. .

1. Hopeless Fountain Kingdom – Halsey

This artist rose quickly to fame after the success of her debut album, Badlands, in 2015. This album, hopeless fountain kingdom, which Halsey announced on March 7th, has been much anticipated. 2016 was a successful year for the singer, who sang for the chart-topping song “Closer,” in collaboration with The Chainsmokers. However, according to MTV, her new album is sure to be a step in a new direction. Halsey invited 100 fans to a church in London to hear 4 songs from her new album, to which fans posted pictures of themselves crying.

If Indie alternative rock is playing in the background and you see a curly headed girl with a highbrew in her hand you are likely to have run into Polaris Press Print Editor in Chief Emily Weaver. Emily has been involved with The Polaris Press since her freshman year of highschool at the Ann Richards School, and at that time it wasn’t a class but just a club she went to weekly. Emily is always completing tasks, you’ll find her surprisingly calm with tons of finished assignments around her just waiting to tackle on the next one. Alongside finishing these tasks Emily also problem solves constantly. She’s constantly learning from those around her to fix the issues she sees around her, which she brings into newspaper. You can expect more problem solving from Emily in her next few years of college after her final year of high school.